Arizona state University

                              cse450/598 spring 2003

Course : CSE 450/598 Design and Analysis of Algorithms
Instructor: Dr. Manish Gupta
Office: GWC 354,  phone: 5-2776, email:

Class Time: 9:15 AM--10:30 AM, Tuesday and Thursday, Place : BA 365
Schedule line number:  38460 (CSE 450), 13518 (CSE 598)
Office hours: 4:00--6:00 PM, Thursday, GWC 354
Prerequisite:  CSE 310
TA:  No TA support
Grader: Sriram Cherukuri

Text Book : Algorithm Design--Foundations, Analysis and Internet Examples,
Michael T. Goodrich and Roberto Tamassia, Wiley, ISBN 0-471-38365-1.
Book Web Page:
Optional Book: Introduction to algorithms, 
Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest and Clifford Stein, 2/e, 2001
MIT Press.
Class web site:


Objectives: To introduce to computer science students the idea of "efficiency" of algorithms and to prove the skills to
design efficient algorithms using different algorithm design techniques.

Current Catalog Description: Design and analysis of computer algorithms using analytical and empirical methods; complexity measures, design methodologies, and survey of important algorithms.

Course description: This is a "second" course in algorithms. This course is one of the most important course in
computer science. It may be taken for undergraduate (CSE450) or graduate credit (CSE598). The students are expected to
understand the material covered in  
CSE 310. By topics prerequisites are Data Structures and Discrete
Topics covered may include Mathematical preliminaries,  review of concepts of data structure, algorithms
and their complexity, divide and conquer, dynamic programming,  greedy method, search and traversal techniques,
backtracking, branch and bound, graph algorithms, NP-Completeness. Additional topics may be covered according to the interest of students taking the class. 

Home Works and Projects: There will be several home works and may be some projects.

Project Home Page

Final project reports

Lecture Notes at myasu

Policy on Late Home works:  Late assignments will not be accepted without permission of the instructor.

Exams:  There will be 1 or 2  mid terms and a final exam. Final Exam will be
held on May 08, 2003 (Thursday), 7:40 AM -- 9:30 AM at BA 365.

Grading:  The home work will constitute 30% of the grade and the remaining 70% will be based on exams and projects.

Interesting Links  

Integrity policy