Return to main home page
MANISH KUMAR GUPTA: CURRICULUM VITAE
- 2000: Ph.D. Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India
- External Examiner: P. Vijay Kumar, University of Southern California
and Jay A. Wood, Western Michigan University
- Dissertation: On Some Linear Codes over Z_2^s
- 1992: M.Sc. Mathematics, University of Lucknow, India
First division and third rank in the order of merit (out of 120 students)
- 1990: B.Sc. Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, University of Lucknow, India
First division and third rank in the order of merit (out of 2000 students)
- 2016-Present Professor (tenured), Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology (DA-IICT), India
- 2012-2016 Associate Professor (tenured), Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology (DA-IICT), India
- 2006-2012 Assistant Professor (tenured), Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology (DA-IICT), India
- 2005-2006 Adjunct Assistant Professor and Research Fellow, Mathematics Department, Queens University, Canada
- 2004-2005 Lecturer and Research Fellow, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Ohio State University, USA
- 2002-2004 Faculty Associate and Research Fellow, Computer Science and Engineering Department, Arizona State University, USA
- 2000-2002 Marsden Research Fellow, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
- 1993-2000: Research Associate and Teaching Associate, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India
Visiting and Cross Appointments
- 2005 Visiting Professor, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), Pohang, South Korea (1 week)
- 2001 SPRINT Research Visitor, National University of Singapore, Singapore (2 weeks)
Featured Reviewer ACM Computing Reviews, February 2016
Invited for Microsoft Research Faculty Summit, Redmond, USA, July 2009
IEEE Senior Member
Invited keynote speaker (3 hours lectures) in Com2Mac workshop on Biological Coding Theory at Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang, South Korea, June 2005.
Some Grants and other external sponsored activities
Microsoft Research India Travel Grant, Sep 2013
Microsoft Research India Travel Grant for Biomod (Harvard University), Nov 2011
Kuliza Technologies Grant for Biomod (Harvard University), Nov 2011
Microsoft Research India Travel Grant, April 2009
Travel grant, University of California, San Francisco, USA, 2006
Visiting Professor, Pohang University of Science and Technology, 2005
Sprint Research Visitor, National University of Singapore, 2001
Travel grant, University of Virginia, USA, 2003
Travel grant, San Diego State University, USA, 2003
Proposals submitted/ or in progress are not listed here.
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
Natural ICT: Systems and Synthetic Biology, Information Processing in Molecular Biology and Chemistry, DNA and Quantum computing, Bioinformatics, Computational Molecular Biology, Multi-user coding and information theory, Coding theory and Cryptology, Algorithms, Combinatorial Group Testing and its applications to biology, Combinatorial Designs and its applications to computer science, Number Theory, Algebra and its applications, Cellular Automata and its applications
Specific research work in:
DNA and PAH self-assembly, RNA and DNA Folding, Molecular Docking, HIV-1, Coding Theory, Quantum error correction, Space-Time codes, Biological Coding Theory, Protein folding, Gene networks, Applications of graph theory and computational geometry to proteins and drug design, error-correcting microarray, DNA storage, Cloud Storage.
Invited Conference Talks
- Mathematical and Computational Opportunities in DNA Computing, NNMCB Symposium on Mathematical
and Computational Biology, March 21-22, 2015, IIT Gandhinagar (Invited Speaker)
- How to store Elephants? Indo-US conference and workshop on synthetic and systems biology, Nov 9-12, 2014,
JNU, New Delhi (Invited Speaker)
- Self-assembly of DNA: Overview, Opportunities and Challenges, Biodesign India 1.0 symposium on
synthetic biology, Oct 7-9, 2010, Trivandrum, Kerala
(Invited Speaker) Abstract
- Biological Coding Theory I: Introduction
Biological Coding Theory II: Coding Theory for DNA Computing and Microarray
Biological Coding Theory III:Coding Theory for DNA Self Assembly
COM2MAC Workshop on Biological Coding Theory
COM2MAC Center, Postech University,
Pohang, South Korea, 27-28 June 2005 (Keynote Speaker for 3 hours lectures)
- On Modular Gray Map, Special Session on Algebraic Coding Theory, Central Section Meeting #995, American Mathematical Society, Athens,OH, 26-27 March 2004 (Invited Speaker)
- Biological Coding Theory: The Emerging Paradigm? DIMACS Workshop on Algebraic Coding Theory and Information Theory, DIMACS Center, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ, 15-18 December 2003 (Invited Speaker)
Some Recent Presentations and Colloquiums
- A Story of Nature: Emerging Trends in Life Sciences, Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics,
Jaypee University of Information Technology, Waknaghat, Solan, HP, November 13, 2014.
- A Story of Natural Engineering, DST- Centre for Interdisciplinary Mathematical Sciences, Banaras Hindu
University (BHU), May 26, 2014
- How to code the cloud using weak dress codes?, DST- Centre for Interdisciplinary Mathematical Sciences,
Banaras Hindu University (BHU), May 27, 2014
- A Story of Natural Engineering, Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology (SAIT) Lab, Jan 10, 2014,
- Calculus, Where are you? Pedagogy Sessions in Calculus, Gujarat Technological University, June 28, 2012
- Mathematics of Natural Information Processing, Scope of Research in Applied Mathematics, Nirma University,
Ahmedabad, India, April 17, 2010
- How to count with DNA? International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore, India, October 18,
- How to count with DNA? Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India, October 04, 2006
- How to count with DNA? Department of Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India,
September 20, 2006
- Structural Coding and Information Theory for Biological Systems California Institute for
Quantitative Biomedical Research, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA, May 8, 2006.
- Information Processing in Biology: Algorithmic Self-Assembly,
Opportunities and Challenges for Coding
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ohio State University, OH,
USA, February 8, 2005.
- Codes and Biology: A Second Emerging Bridge, Department of Mathematics, Colloquium,
San Diego State University, CA, USA, September 25, 2003.
Recent Participations in Conference/Workshop
- Workshop on Mathematics of Networks, IISc Bangalore, Jan 13-16, 2014
- Microsoft Research Faculty Summit, Redmond, USA, July 2009 (Invited)
- Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit, India, Jan 2009 (Invited)
- Genome 2.0, New Frontiers in Epigenomics Symposium, June 2, 2008, MaRS Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
- Workshop on Growth and Control of Tumors: Theory and Experiment, July 2-4, 2008, Fields Institute-
Thematic Program on Mathematical and Quantitative Oncology, Toronto, Canada
Recent Publications and Preprints
Publication list with online papers is available from: http://www.mankg.com/pub.html
More presentations are available from: http://www.mankg.com/WWW/conf_talks.html
My lab page is at http://www.guptalab.org
Guest Associate Editor, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Special Issue on Emerging Technologies in
Communications (Area: Nanoscale and Molecular Networking), 2013
- Member, Program Committee: 7th ACM Compute 2014 conference, Nagpur, October 16-18, 2014
- Member, Organizing Committee (Publicity Sub-Committee): 6th IEEE/ACM Comsnets, Bangalore, Jan 6-10, 2014
- Member, Program Committee, 4th ACM Compute 2011 conference, Bangalore, India, March 25-26, 2011
- Member, Program Committee, 3rd ACM Compute 2010 conference, Bangalore, India, Jan 22-23, 2010
Referee to Journals/Conferences:
I often serve as a referee to the following journals:
IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, EURASIP Journal on
Wireless Communications and Networking, IEEE Communications Letters, Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A,
IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, Bio Systems, Information
Sciences, Journal of Combinatorics, Information and System Sciences, Discrete Mathematics, Designs Codes and
Cryptography, Australasian Journal of Combinatorics, European Journal of Combinaorics, The Bulletin of the ICA,
Quantum Information and Computation, Sadhana - Academy Proceedings in Engineering Science, Bioinformatics. I have
also served as a referee in Applied Algebra, Algebraic Algorithms, and Error Correcting Codes (AAECC-17), 2007,
National Conference on Communications 2014, International Castle Meeting on Coding Theory and Applications 2014
and also served as a reviewer for book proposal from John Wiley & Sons, UK, 2010.
I serve on the pannel of reviewers for the following:
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), Computing Reviews since November 2005
- American Mathematical Society (AMS), Mathematical Reviews since November 2005
I am currently affiliated (or have been affiliated in past) with the following:
- American Mathematical Society (AMS).
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE).
- IEEE Computer Society.
- IEEE Communications Society.
- IEEE Society of Information Theory.
- The International Society for Computational Biology.
- The International Association for Cryptologic Research.
- International Society for Nanoscale Science, Computation and Engineering (ISNSCE)
List of courses taught is available from: Courses Taught
I have supervised total 50 undergraduate students (2007-2016) in research projects. Eleven of these students published
peer-reviewed conference and / or journal papers as undergraduates. Apart from these students I have also supervised
many students in different projects. Currently I am supervising 2 graduate (PhD) students (Dixita Limbachiya, Synthetic
Biology; Krishna Gopal, Cloud Coding and Cryptography) and many undergraduate students. A complete list with thesis
is at Students.
Selected Software Products
Biospectrogram: A tool for spectral analysis for biological sequences. Latest Release in June 2013.
3DNA: A tool for Lego Modeling. Latest Draft Release in February 2014.
DNA Pen: A tool for drawing on molecular canvas. Latest Release in August 2013.
Available: http://www.guptalab.org/dnapen (Supported by Microsoft Research India)
DNA Cloud: A tool for storing big data on DNA. Latest Release in December 2013.
Xtile: An error-correction package for DNA self-assembly. Released in Jan 2009
Available: http://www.guptalab.org/xtile (Supported by Microsoft Research India)
MAJOR ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE
- Chairman, Executive Council (2016-Present) DA-IICT Center for Entrepreneurship & Incubation
- Board Member (2008-2015) Indo-Americal Educational Society, United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF)
- Member Executive Council (2010-Present) and Founder in 2007 CEID (DA-IICT Center for Entrepreneurship & Incubation)
Additional Information and Recent Activities
- Served as Judge for Biomod 2011 (Harvard University)
- Served as a chairman to several staff (CEID) recruitment committees at DA-IICT Gandhinagar, India
- Served on several business proposal review committees at CEID, DA-IICT Gandhinagar, India and at
iCreate (The International Centre for Entrepreneurship and Technology, http://www.icreate.org.in/)
- Served as a member of faculty recruitment committee for Bioinformatics Department at Indian Institute
of Advanced Research, Koba, Gandhinagar, India, December 2007
- Served as an examiner for PhD viva at Jaypee University of Information Technology, November 2014.
- Served as an examiner for viva in PG Diploma in Bioinformatics program at Gujarat University on May 3,
2007 and also external examiner to masters and PhD thesis of various students at DA-IICT, Gandhinagar
- Served as an invited dignitary guest for a Brain Storming Session on Bioinformatics Sector
Development in Gujarat of Gujarat State Biotechnology Mission on October 8, 2007
- Received GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, Govt. of India) Fellowship, 1993-2000
- Qualified CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research) Fellowship (Govt. of India), 1995
- Qualified NET (National Eligibility Test) for Lectureship in Indian Universities, 1995
- Received Uttar Pradesh Sachiwalya fellowship, 1989-1992
- Served as a representative scientist to the Canadian Society for Systems Biology white paper in 2006.
- Served as an Associate Investigator, Quantum Error Correction Project (Aotearoa), New Zealand, July 2002-September 2003
- Attended the NEN-Stanford Entrepreneurship Faculty Development Course (Module-1) in Bombay in July 2007
- Discovered various interesting sequences of integers. For example see sequence number A 060195 in the Sloane's On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences at
- Maintaining the list of tables web site for all kind of codes and related things at
- My Erdos Number is 2
(M.K. Gupta--C.J. Colbourn--P. Erdos) for details see Erdos No. Page
- My mathematical genealogy is at http://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/html/id.phtml?id=46560
© 2016 Manish K. Gupta